Haymarket Baptist Church was established in 1894 by members of the congregation at nearby Antioch Baptist Church. The original building was constructed in 1895 and consisted of the present sanctuary and three small classrooms directly behind it. As Haymarket has grown and expanded over the years, so too has the church. Several additions to the original building have been made and many new ministries have been started. The church is proud of its preschool and kindergarten program, now twenty six years old, which ministers to over 300 children weekly during the school year. The church has also recently completed a basic refurbishment of the sanctuary.
Haymarket Baptist Church is a member of the Baptist General Association of Virginia and maintains a broad spectrum of affiliations with other like-minded Baptist entities through its giving, including the NorthStar Church Network, the Southern Baptist Convention, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and the Baptist World Alliance. The church body contains a healthy mix in its membership of young and old, newcomers and long-time members. Church leadership includes the Pastor, Dr. Charles D. Stewart, who has served the church since 2007, and a deacon body composed of men and women who have been called out by the church to this ministry. The church operates under a congregational church polity with its work carried out through a committee structure and governed at quarterly business meetings.
As all this indicates, Haymarket Baptist Church is a traditional Baptist church, but a church that is also striving to be faithful in its witness to the gospel in the face of an ever-changing world. We would love for you to join us in our part of the Kingdom’s work as we seek to call people to faith in Jesus Christ, and to nurture them to full maturity in all Christ likeness.